Monday, August 18, 2008

Red Badge of Courage



This is Ada with her 'badge of courage'. Today she went in for her first blood draw. Remembering the IV, which they couldn't get on the first try and had to do again, she was terrified.

Brave is doing what you have to, even though you are scared and don't want to. We had talked about what needed to be done, and as we waited the tears welled up in her eyes and she began to wimper. She had brought a picture with that she had made to give to the person that had to take her blood, just to be nice.

As she sat in the chair she wimpered, but did a good job holding still. I sat in the chair beside her and put my arm around her. She watched as the phlebotomist prepared to take her blood. The lady spoke softly to her and explained every step in advance, giving Ada a chance to ask questions and make sure she understood. Another technician came in to 'help', and held her hand so she could hold still better. They slid the needle in and Ada said in surprise, "But that didn't hurt." In a few seconds she asked when they were going to take the needle out, and the tech said, "right now" as she slid the needle out and placed the cotton in her elbow.

They asked her which color she liked. Ada looked at the pink, purple, blue, and green and said to them, "I like red." The tech opened a drawer and got out a brand-new package of red tape and placed it around her arm. Then they gave her a whole stream of princess stickers and sent her out the door saying how brave she had been.

She is keeping the tape on her arm till Dad gets home so she can show him. I'm glad it went well. That will make the weekly draws much easier.

And the good news is that she has a very healthy white blood cell count, so she is in great shape to start the cytoxin therapy. Yea!!

4 comments:

Cathi said...

Yeah for Ada! I had my blood drawn today too, and I had yellow tape. Maybe we will have to take pictures or at least compare colors with each other. I have to go get my blood drawn next Monday. Which day is your next turn? Let's be brave together, okay?

Aunt Cathi :-)

ashton4inlv said...

When does she start the cytoxin? Gray started Saturday night. Fingers crossed no side effects as of yet. his proties was down between a + and a ++ yesterday so hopefully it's working. We'll keep you in our prayers. Please let me know how she's doing.

Wendi :)

Cathi said...

Aunt Cathi,

My next blood draw is next monday too :-) I will have to go in every monday to have my blood drawn. I will tell you what colors I get. But Dad says I can't collect the tapes :-(

Thanks for helping me to be brave. I love you.

Ada

Cathi said...

Hi Ada,

I am not going to collect the tapes either, although I almost I almost saved the purple one I got last Friday just before I came to your doctor's appointment. Purple is my favorite color.

My doctor has decided not to start the cytoxan right now. I am just going to use prednisone for a while. Last week I was taking 40 mg a day. This week I am supposed to take 35 mg. Next week, if everything is okay, I am supposed to take 30 mg.

I am eager to hear if your cytoxan helps your kidneys work better. I will be watching your blog to see what happens.

I love you too! You are my hero! I am glad we have each other to talk to.

Love, Aunt Cathi :-)