Saturday, March 22, 2008

Low Sodium Options



The other day we had a school field trip to the zoo. Because it is a good couple of hours in driving I wanted some snacks for the kids, which Ada would be able to enjoy. Fruits are all good, but they also needed a bread or some kind of carb. All the standards were out, pretzels, crackers, etc. So I sent Dad to the store to find some low sodium snacks.

Dad came back from the store with some low sodium chips and rice-cakes. The chips were suppose to be fruity, but they were so sweet that after one chip none of the kids was willing to eat any more. I always thought of ricecakes akin to eating styrophome, but I have to admit that the apple cinimon rice cakes were pretty good, and compared to my pretzels weren't actually any dryer. We had a great time and enjoyed the snacks on the way home.

This weekend is Easter and we have family coming in to help celebrate. I knew the traditional ham was out, but didn't expect the turkey to also be out. Since turkeys are now injected with juices, depending on brand the turkey was 450 - 650 mg of sodium per 4oz serving - that's before gravey and everything. Fresh turkeys are a little pricey so I looked around for other options. Ada and I found a whole chicken that was only 60mg. So for Easter this year the family will all enjoy a turkey, and Ada will have her own chicken, which Dad has begged her to share with him.

Most easter candy is low sodium though, except malted eggs :-) Happy Easter

No comments: